Several gases are used in the hospitality industry, mainly carbon dioxide (CO2) and nitrogen (N2). These gases pose a serious risk should they leak. There are a wide range of fixed & portable gas detectors suitable for various applications where gases, including beverage dispensers, are used.
THE DANGERS OF A GAS LEAK
Nitrogen and carbon dioxide have no taste, colour or smell, which means that it will be hard to tell if there is a gas leak. All it takes is a rip or a hole in the pipe connecting a gas cylinder to a drinks dispenser and a room could quickly fill with dangerous gas.
Carbon dioxide is naturally present in the air, but an increase in concentration can be dangerous.
An increase in levels can cause effects including headaches, reduced hearing and sight and an increase in blood pressure. Higher levels still can cause unconsciousness, coma and death.
Carbon dioxide is heavier than air and can concentrate at ground level. If you get a monitor, it is essential to put the alarm at head height so you don’t have to bend down to read it.
There have been some tragic stories of people dying due to carbon dioxide in the hospitality industry.
Nitrogen displaces oxygen in the atmosphere, meaning an increase could mean that oxygen drops to a dangerous level and can cause asphyxiation.
Liquid nitrogen expands when it evaporates. One quart of liquid nitrogen can turn into approximately 185 gallons of gas, which can quickly cause an oxygen-deficient atmosphere.
People have died from misuse of nitrogen in the food industry. In 2013 two employees died after being told to hold their breath to enter a nitrogen-filled storage unit where levels of oxygen were just one percent. The farm manager was convicted of manslaughter.
MSDS – SDS Listed: